Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Collect 50 Cents Class Championship Playoff Superstar Style


One of the things we love the most about our Investigations math resource is the fact that we learn many of our math concepts though games.  This gives the students an authentic reason to learn the content.  While we enjoy all the games, the Collect Coins series is a classroom favorite.  We first learned Collect 25 Cents and recently learned Collect 50 Cents.  

After we have played the game for awhile, we have started the tradition of having class championship playoffs. This started as a suggestion from one of our students, Alex, who is a self proclaimed sports fanatic.  Since I did not have much background in structuring play off championships, I searched the internet to find a resource that would allow me to build playoff brackets.  I found the resources at PrintYourBrackets.com very user friendly for those of more sport challenged individuals.

Here is what our class bracket looked like from our last championship:






During our last championship, we may have set the bar high for future playoffs.  I wish I could take credit for any of this, but absolutely none of the ideas came from me nor did I have any input in the content.  Students created these on the fly.  I just knew I had to document what they were doing and grabbed the iPad.  




We had an announcer



A Commercial



A Halftime Show



Post Game Interviews 










1 comment:

  1. Dear 2nd Grade Superstars,

    We enjoyed your films. The announcer is very funny!
    We are wondering, is the microphone a glue stick, a pen, or a real one?
    We liked the 3 girls dancing too.
    Thank you for sharing with us.
    2CM, Hong Kong.
    Now we have Chinese New Year Holiday- see you in a week and a half!!

    ReplyDelete