Monday, September 16, 2013

What is Daily Intentional Problem Solving?




Every day students will solve a math problem.  We craft our problems based on the CGI model using the identified problem types.  So far this year, our focus has been on "Joining Result Unknown" problems. 

As students solve the daily problem, I circulate the room to observe the different ways students are solving their problems.  After they are done solving the problem, students move to the carpet to share their thinking with a peer. I then select 2-3 students to share their thinking with the whole class. Students are selected based on different criteria including introduction of new strategies, common misconceptions, interesting mathematical thinking, or creative or unusual approaches to the problem.  As I circulate the room I record observations using a Google form I have created, recording my observations on my iPad.  This data is analyzed to design future instruction and reflection.  

Monday through Thursday students solve these problem in their problem solving spirals.  On Friday, students solve these on paper and turn them in to me for targeted feedback.  Once or twice a grading period a grade for problem solving is recorded in the grade book.  To assess student progress, I use our district rubric.  At the start of the year, our class looked at student work and developed a criteria chart.  I guided this activity so our criteria chart matches the district rubric but was is in "kid language."  

Below is an annotated student work sample and our district math rubric.






No comments:

Post a Comment