Thursday, September 26, 2013

Games in Math?

Perhaps you have heard your child say "We get to play games in math" and wondered exactly what your students are supposed to learn by playing games. Our district utilizes Investigations as our main curriculum resource for math instruction.  We distributed a flyer about this during our Parent Orientation and sent it home for those who could not attend.  (Please let me know if you need another copy.)  You can also find out more about Investigations by reading this Information for Families document.  Additionally you can learn more about how you can support your students math thinking at home by viewing the Math Thinking document.  

In our classroom, rather than simply calling these games, I stress that they are learning activities.  After modeling the activity either whole group or in small groups.  I group the students based on where they are in their understanding of math concepts.  I want them to work with someone who will challenge their thinking but not cause frustration because their partner is at a different level than they are.  

As students are collaborating to complete the learning activity, I walk around and listen in and often snap pictures.  As I observe, I take notes in a Google form I have created for the current activity they are working on.   I use the data I collect from my observations to plan further instruction and to determine who may need additional support or who might be a good resource as a peer tutor.  This data also helps me in planning future student partnering.  


Today (September 26, 2013) I am sending home cards and instructions for some of the learning games we are utilizing at school so you can enjoy them at home.

Please feel free to make any comments or ask any questions either in the comment section below or by emailing me.

Happy learning!
Mrs. Haney

No comments:

Post a Comment